Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Socrates contemplates a palinode

 

When Socrates said that his rival speech was finished, Phaedrus protested:

But I thought it was just in the middle (Kai/toi w!|mhn ge mesou=n au0to/n), and would just go on to say an equal amount about the non-lover (kai\ e0rei=n ta\ i1sa peri\ tou= mh\ e0rw~ntoj), to the effect that one should rather grant him favours (w(j dei= e0kei/nw| xari/zesqai ma=llon), mentioning all the good things he has on his side (le/gwn o3sa au] e1xei a0gaqa/), why then are you stopping as you are (nu=n de\ dh\, w} Sw&kratej, ti/ a0popau/h|;)?

Socrates: Haven’t you noticed (Ou0k h1|sqou), my dear fellow (w} maka/rie), that I’m already uttering epic verses (o3ti h1dh e1ph fqe/ggomai), and not dithyrambs now (a0ll ou0ke/ti diqura/mbouj), even though I’m playing the critic (kai\ tau=ta ye/gwn;)? What do you think I’ll produce if I begin praising the other man (e0a\n d e0painei=n to\n e3teron a1rcwmai, ti/ me oi1ei poih/sein;)? Do you know that I’ll patently be possessed by the Nymphs to whom you deliberately exposed me (a]r oi]sq o3ti u9po\ tw~n Numfw~n, ai[j me su\ prou/balej e0k pronoi/aj, safw_j e0nqousia/sw)? So in a word I say (le/gw ou]n e9ni\ lo/gw|) that the other man has the good points which are opposed to all the things for which we’ve abused the first (o3ti o3sa to\n e3teron leloidorh/kamen, tw~| e9te/rw ta0nanti/a tou/twn a0gaqa\ pro/sestin). And why indeed make a long speech of it (kai\ ti/ dei= makrou= lo/gou;)? Enough has been said about both (peri\ ga\r a0mfoi=n i9kanw~j ei1rhtai). So in that case my story will fare as it should (kai\ ou3tw dh\ o9 mu=qoj o3ti pa/sxein prosh/kei au0tw~|, tou=to pei/setai); as for me (ka0gw&), I’m off across the river here (to\n po/tamon tou=ton diaba\j a0pe/rxomai) before you force me into something worse (pri\n u9po\ sou= ti mei/zon a0nagkasqh=nai).

Phaedrus: Don’t go yet (Mh/pw ge), Socrates (w} Sw&kratej); not until the heat of the day has passed (pri\n a2n to\ kau=ma pare/lqh|). Don’t you see (h2 ou0x o9ra=|j) that it’s just about midday (w(j sxedo\n h1dh meshmbri/a i3statai), the time we say everything comes to a stop (h9 dh\ kaloume/nh staqera/;)? Let’s wait (a0lla\ perimei/nantej) and discuss what’s been said (kai\ a3ma peri\ tw~n ei0rhme/nwn dialexqe/ntej), and then we’ll go, when it’s cooler (ta/xa e0peida\n a0poyu/xh| i1men)?

Socrates: You’ve a superhuman capacity when it comes to speeches (Qei=o/j g ei] peri\ tou\j lo/gouj), Phaedrus (w} Fai=dre); you’re simply amazing (kai\ a0texnw~j qauma/sioj). Of the speeches which there have been during your lifetime (oi]mai ga\r e0gw_ tw~n e0pi\ tou= sou= bi/ou gegono/twn lo/gwn), I think that no one has brought more into existence than you (mhde/na plei/ouj h2 se\ pepoihke/nai gegenh=sqai), either by making them yourself (h1toi au0to\n le/gonta) or by forcing others to make them, in one way or another (h1 a1llouj e9ni\ ge/ tw~| tro/pw| prosanagka/zonta). Simmias the Theban is the one exception (Simmi/an Qhbai=on e0cairw~ lo/gou); the rest you beat by a long way (tw~n de\ a1llwn pa/mpolu kratei=j). Just so, now (kai\ nu=n au]), you seem to me to have become the cause of my speaking a speech (dokei=j ai1tio/j moi gegenh=sqai lo/gw| tini r9hqh=nai).

Phaedrus: No bad thing (Ou0 po/lemo/n ge a0gge/lleij)! But how do you mean (a0lla\ pw~j dh/ ;)? What speech is this (kai\ ti/ni tou/tw|)?

Socrates: When I was about to cross the river, my good man (H#nik e1mellon, w)gaqe/, to\n po/tamon diabai/nein), I had that supernatural experience, the sign which I am accustomed to having on each occasion, you understand (to\ daimo/nion kai\ to\ ei0wqo\j shmei=o/n moi gi/gnesqai e0ge/neto), it holds me back from whatever I am about to do (a0ei\ de/ me e0pi/sxei o4 a2n me/llw pra/ttein) – and I seemed to hear a voice from the very spot (kai/ tina fwnh\n e1doca au0to/qen a0kou=sai), which forbids me to leave (h3 me ou0k e0a|~ a0pie/nai) until I have made expiation (pri\n a2n a0fosiw&swmai), because I have committed an offence against what belongs to the gods (w#j ti h9marthko/ta ei0j to\ qei=on). Well, I am a seer (ei0mi\ dh\ ou]n ma/ntij me/n); not a very good one (ou0 pa/nu de\ spoudai=oj), but like people who are poor at reading and writing (a0ll w#sper oi9 ta\ gra/mmata fau=loi), merely good enough for my own purposes (o3son me\n e0mautw~| mo/non i9kano/j); so I already clearly understand (safw~j ou]n h1dh manqa/nw) what my offence is (to\ a9ma/rthma). For the fact is, my friend, that the soul too is something which has divinatory powers (w(j dh/ toi, w} e9tai=re, mantiko/n ti kai\ h9 yuxh/); for something certainly troubled me some while ago as I was making the speech (e0me\ ga\r e1qrace me/n ti kai\ pa/lai le/gonta to\n lo/gon), and I had a certain feeling of unease (kai/ pwj e0duswpou/mhn), as Ibycus says (if I remember rightly) (kat I1bukon), ‘that for offences against the gods (mh/ ti para\ qeoi=j a0mblakw&n), I win renown from all my fellow men’ (tima\n pro\j a0nqrw&pwn a0mei/yw). But now I realise my offence (nu=n d h!sqhmai to\ a9ma/rthma).

Phaedrus: Just what do you mean (Le/geij de\ dh\ ti/;)?

Socrates: A dreadful speech it was, Phaedrus, dreadful (Deino/n, w} Fai=dre, deino\n lo/gon), both the one you brought with you (au0to/j te e0ko/misaj), and the one you compelled me to make (e0me/ te h0na/gkasaj ei0pei=n).

Phaedrus: How so (Pw~j dh/;)?

Socrates: It was foolish (Eu0h/qh) and somewhat impious (kai\ u9po/ ti a0sebh=); what speech could be more dreadful than that (ou[ ti/j a2n ei1h deino/teroj;)?

None (Ou0dei/j), if you’re right in what you say (ei1 ge su\ a0lhqh= le/geij).

Socrates: What (Ti/ ou]n;)? Don’t you think Love to be the son of Aphrodite, and a god (to\n E!rwta ou0k A)frodi/thj kai\ qeo/n tina h9gh=|;)?

Phaedrus: So it is said (Le/getai/ ge dh/).

Socrates: Not I think by Lysias, at any rate (Ou1 ti u9po/ ge Lusi/ou), nor by your speech (ou0de\ u9po\ tou= sou= lo/gou), which came from my mouth, bewitched as it was by you (o4j dia\ tou= e0mou= sto/matoj katafarmakeuqe/ntoj u9po\ sou= e0le/xqh). But if Love is, as indeed it is, a god, or something divine (ei0 d e1stin, w#sper ou]n e1sti, qeo\j h1 ti qei=on o9 E!rwj), he could not be anything evil (ou0de\n a2n kako\n ei1h); whereas the two recent speeches spoke of him as if he were like that (tw_ de\ lo/gw tw_ nundh\ peri\ au0tou= ei0pe/thn w(j toiou/tou o1ntoj). So this was their offence in relation to Love (tau/th| te ou]n h9martane/thn peri\ to\n E!rwta), and besides their foolishness was really quite refined (e1ti te h9 eu0h/qeia au0toi=n pa/nu a0stei/a) – parading themselves as if they were worth something, while actually saying nothing healthy or true (to\ mhde\n u9gie\j le/gonte mhde\ a0lhqe\j semnu/nesqai w(j ti\ o1nte), in case they would deceive some poor specimens of humanity (ei0 a1ra a0nqrwpi/skouj tina\j e0capath/sante) and win praise from them (eu0dokimh/seton e0n au0toi=j). So I (e0moi\ me\n ou]n), my friend (w} fi/le), must purify myself (kaqh/rasqai a0na/gkh), and for those who offend in telling of stories there is an ancient method of purification (e1sti de\ toi=j a9marta/nousi peri\ muqologi/an kaqarmo\j a0rxai=oj), which Homer did not understand (o4n O#mhroj me\n ou0k h1|sqeto), but Stesichorus did (Sthsi/xoroj de/). For when he was deprived of his sight (tw~n ga\r o0mma/twn sterhqei/j) because of his libel against Helen (dia\ th=j E(le/nhj kakhgori/an), he did not fail to recognise the reason, like Homer; because he was a true follower of the Muses, he knew it (ou0k h0gno/hsen w#sper O#mhroj, a0ll a3te mousiko\j w@n e1gnw th\n ai0ti/an), and immediately composed the verses (kai\ poiei= eu0qu/j)

            This tale I told is false. There is no doubt: (Ou0k e1st e1tumoj lo/goj ou[toj),

            You made no journey in the well-decked ships (ou0d e1baj e0n neusi\n eu0se/lmoij,)

            Nor voyaged to the citadel of Troy (ou0d i3keo Pe/rgama Troi/aj).

And after composing the whole of the so-called Palinode (kai\ poih/saj dh\ pa=san th\n kaloume/nhn Palinw|di/an) he at once regained his sight (paraxrh=ma a0ne/bleyen). So I shall follow a wiser course than Stesichorus and Homer (e0gw_ ou]n sofw&teroj e0kei/nwn genh/somai) in just this respect (kat au0to/ ge tou=to): I shall try to render my palinode to Love before anything happens to me because of my libel against him (pri\n ga/r ti paqei=n dia\ th\n tou= E!rwtoj kakhgori/an pira/somai au0tw|~ a0podou=nai th\n palinw|di/an), with my head bare (gumnh=| th=| kefalh|=), and not covered as it was before, for shame (kai\ ou0x w#sper to/te u9p ai0sxu/nhj e0gkekalumme/noj).

Phaedrus: That (Toutwni/), Socrates (w} Sw&kratej), is the most delightful thing you could have said to me (ou0k e1stin a3tt a2n e0moi\ ei]pej h9di/w).

Socrates: Yes (Kai\ ga/r), my good Phaedrus (w)gaqe\ Fai=dre), for you see how shameless the speeches were (e0nnoei=j w(j a0naidw~j ei1rhsqon tw_ lo/gw,), this second one (ou[to/j te) and the one which was read from the book (kai\ o9 e0k tou= bibli/ou r9hqei/j). If we were being listened to by someone of noble and gentle character (ei0 ga\r a0kou/wn tij tu/xoi h9mw~n genna/daj kai\ pra~|oj to\ h1qoj) who was in love with someone else of the same sort (e9te/rou de\ toiou/tou e0rw~n), or else had ever been in love with someone like that before (h2 kai\ pro/teron pote\ e0rasqei/j), and he heard us saying that lovers start large-scale hostilities because of small things (lego/ntwn w(j dia\ smikra\ mega/laj e1xqraj oi9 e0rastai\ a0nairou=ntai), and adopt a jealous and harmful attitude towards their beloved (kai\ e1xousi pro\j ta\ paidika\ fqonerw~j te kai\ blaberw~j), surely you think he would suppose himself to be listening to people who had perhaps been brought up among sailors (pw~j ou0k a2n oi1ei au0to\n h9gei=sqai a0kou/ein e0n nau/taij pou teqramme/nwn), and who have never witnessed a love of the sort that belongs to free men (kai\ ou0de/na e0leu/qeron e1rwta e9wrako/twn), and would be far from agreeing with the things we find to blame in Love (pollou= d a2n dei=n h9mi=n o9mologei=n a4 ye/gomen to\n E!rwta)?

Phaedrus: Very probably, Socrates, he would (I!swj nh\ Di/’, w} Sw&kratej.).

Socrates: Then out of shame for what this man would think (Tou=to/n ge toi/nun e1gwge ai0sxuno/menoj), and out of fear of Love himself (kai\ au0to\n to\n E!rwta dediw&j), I for my part am anxious to wash out the bitter taste, as it were, of the things we have heard said with a wholesome speech (e0piqumw~ poti/mw| lo/gw| oi[on a9lmura\n a0koh\n a0poklu/sasqai); and I advise Lysias too (sumbouleu/w de\ kai\ Lusi/a|) to put in writing as quickly as possible (o3ti ta/xista gra/yai) that one should grant favours to the lover rather than to the man who is not in love, in return for favours received (w(j xrh\ e0rasth=| ma=llon h2 mh\ e0rw~nti e0k tw~n o9moi/wn xari/zesqai).

Phaedrus: You can be sure (A)ll eu] i1sqi) that that’s how it will be (o3ti e3cei tou=q ou3tw): once you have given your praise of the lover (sou\ ga\r ei0po/ntoj to\n tou= e0rastou= e1painon), there will be every necessity for Lysias to be compelled by me to write a speech in his turn on the same subject (pa=sa a0na/gkh Lusi/an u9p e0mou= a0nagkasqh=nai gra/yai au] peri\ tou= au0tou= lo/gon).

Socrates: That I quite believe (Tou=to me\n pisteu/w), so long as you remain the man you are (e3wsper a2n h=|j o3j ei]).

Phaedrus: Then you can give your speech in full confidence (Le/ge toi/nun qarrw~n).

No comments:

Post a Comment