Monday, May 8, 2023

One more protest at Balliol?

 

I began to write to the Cherwell Archive on my intention to take recourse to one more protest at Balliol, if my intended request for a lecture on Plato is to be stonewalled again. Unfortunately, as often, my computer has been interfered with as I was writing the piece. I am printing here the mutilated piece in the hope that the interference stops when I return to it:

"One more protest at Balliol?

The Cherwell Archive opens its issue on ‘Julius Tomin protests in Oxford’ as follows:

Cherwell learned of the visit after several of our staff received unsolicited invitations via email to an online lecture in lieu of one Tomin had been hoping to host in Balliol. He said in the email, addressed to Oxford students, “May I appeal to you: Would you raise your voice in support of my request?”

The Cherwell Archive closes it as follows:

Tomin’s connection with Oxford is complicated. In 1979, responding to an invitation from Tomin, several academics travelled to Prague (in solidarity with him) to lecture at Tomin’s unofficial seminars. These were repeatedly disrupted by the police, and some of the academics interrogated and expelled, though not injured. Tomin alleges that even at this early stage some of the visitors were keen to expose his ability to translate and read aloud in Greek, in an effort to discredit him.

The last sentence does not make sense as it stands, but it can be elucidated. The History of political thought published my article ‘Pursuit of philosophy’ in its Winter issue of 1984. In the article I wrote about the visit of Dr Anthony Kenny, the Master of Balliol in my unofficial philosophy seminar. Kenny chose to talk about the pursuit of happiness in Aristotle’s Nicomachean and Eudemian Ethics"

...

As often, my computer is interfered with. This time it does not allow me to continue normally. Instead, it jumps. Perhaps it will get better tomorrow or later today. If not, I shall write it and send it to Cherwell in its mutilated form.

No comments:

Post a Comment