Sunday, October 24, 2021

A letter to Norton, my ‘security provider’

Dear Norton,

For years, my computer has been interfered with by unwelcome ‘co-editors’ (See ‘Other people are editing this document’ posted on my blog on October 13). Until now it has been mostly just a nuisance, but now it begins to interfere with my work. A day before yesterday I received proofs of my article ‘The Phaedrus and the Charmides – Plato in Athens 405-404’. There were some little orange squares; when I cliqued on them, in yellow squares appeared editor’s suggestions. Firstly, the editor wanted me to go through all notes. This is what I was doing yesterday. In the evening, when I finished with the notes, I wanted to see what else the editor wanted. But all the orange squares ceased to be responsive. Today I have tried again and again, it all remains un-responsive. I thought you were here to protect me from such intrusions.

If you can do anything about it, please do. If you can’t, what am I supposed to do? Shall I try the BBC?

Best wishes,

Julius Tomin

PS

As I was saving this document, the infamous square with its ‘Other people are editing this document’ appeared on the top right-hand sight of my monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment