Friday, August 21, 2020

When (if at all) I return to Plato

 

When I return to Plato, I should like to focus on Socrates’ closing words in the Meno:

‘It is now time for me (nun d’ emoi men hȏra) to go my way (poi ienai), but do you persuade our friend Anytus of that whereof you are now yourself persuaded (su de tauta haper autos pepeisai peithe kai ton xenon tonde Anuton), so as to put him in a gentler mood (hina praioteros ȇi); for if you can persuade him (hȏs ean peisȇis touton), you will do a good turn to the people of Athens also (estin ho ti kai Athȇnaious onȇseis).’ (Translation W.R.M. Lamb)

What is it that Meno was persuaded of? Any meaningful answer to this question should make it clear in what way Meno’s persuading Anytus of it would benefit the people of Athens.

No comments:

Post a Comment