Wednesday, February 7, 2024

My 'friends' - can't they do anything better?

 My 'friends', can't they do anything better than prevent my work on the Meno? What am I doing? I get the English text, produced by W.R.M. Lamb, and then, clause by clause, I follow Lamb's text by the Greek original. For this work, I must be constantly switching from Calibri font to SPIonix and from SPIonic to Calibri. This morning, at half past four, I was to resume my work where I finished it yesterday. Yesterday my computer worked. The last thing I wrote was Lamb's 'And yet how surprising' for the Greek  (kai/toi te/raj le/geij, 91d5-6). This morning I wanted to continue with Lamb's 'that menders of old shoes' (ei0 oi9 me\n ta\ u9podh/mata e0rgazo/menoi ta\ palaia/) - now it works, after I began to write "My 'friends' - can't they do anything better? But for good half an hour, whenever I tried to write the Greek text, the SPIonix turned to Calibri. It looked like this: (ei0 oi9 me\n ta\ u9podh/mata e0rgazo/menoi ta\ palaia/). I tried again and again, all in vain - until I began to write "My 'friends' - can't they do anything better?". And then it suddenly began to work. I hope it will continue working, as it does at the moment.

This entry to my blog I began to write - and I am writing - directly on the 'New post' on my blog. Some good soul was presumably thinking 'This is serious, it should be properly emphasized.' And so they emphasized, what is emphasized in 'bold' and the introductory sentences in bigger letters. I am 'computer illiterate', and when I write directly on my blog, I have no access to such refinements as 'bold' and 'larger letters'. But those who are 'computer literate' can do it - on my computer to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment