Tuesday, January 30, 2024

For the record – more interference with my work

In 'Meno’s betrayal 1' I was quoting Xenophon’s Anabasis I.i.9. Unable to sleep, I wanted to begin to write 'Meno’s betrayal 2'. Before beginning it, I wanted to refresh my mind and see what I wrote in 'Meno’s betrayal 1'. My eyes fell on a closing passage from I.i.9, which I quote there. The closing passage is corrupted as follows:

Kai\money for the support of his troops (w#ste kai\ xrh/mata suneba/llonto au0tw~| ei0j th\n trofh\n tw~n stratiwtw~n ai9 E(llhspontikai\ po/leij e9kou=sai). So it was that this army wj  stra/teuma).

The correct passage is as follows:

Consequently, the Hellespontic cities of their own free will sent Clearchus contributions of money for the support of his troops (w#ste kai\ xrh/mata suneba/llonto au0tw~| ei0j th\n trofh\n tw~n stratiwtw~n ai9 E(llhspontikai\ po/leij e9kou=sai). So it was that this army also was being secretly maintained for Cyrus (tou=to d au] ou3tw trefo/menon e0la/nqanen au0tw~| to\ stra/teuma).

 


No comments:

Post a Comment