Thursday, March 14, 2024

No end to interference? - correction

I must admit, the latest interference is very clever, for it gives me pain dozens and dozens of times per page. I try to divide the text into as short bits of text as possible, for in that way it is most instructive to anyone who wants to learn Ancient Greek. Let me give examples from the text I have written just now: ‘to become your pupil’ (maqhth=| sw~| gene/sqai); ‘And if he does not do as I ask’ (kai\ a2n mh/ moi pei/qhtai) ‘and does not release me from the indictment’ (mhd a0fi/h th=j di/khj) ‘or bring it against you in my stead’ (h2 a0nt e0mou= gra/fhtai se/); ‘I fancy I should find his weak spot’ (eu3roima1n, w(j oi]mai, o3ph| saqro/j e0stin).

My mouse, which until now worked perfectly, became unpredictably wavered; instead of taking me just where I want, it takes me several lines up, several lines down, several words to the right, several words to the left of where I want it. Thus, in this short text I must make 5 complicated corrections to get each time to where I want. If it goes on like this, I shall begin to divide the text into longer chunks. It will still be much better for a learner than what the parallel Greek-English LOEB texts can provide him with.

***

I wrote the next big speech of Euthyphro, in which he gives his definition of holiness and unholiness. I wrote the whole of it in English; at the end of it I inserted one bracket, in which I wrote the Greek text of that speech of Euthyphro. I moved the mouse just once to achieve this, but that one movement of mouse was enough to show me that the mouse did not yet lose any of its waywardness. Tired to death, I went to sleep. I woke up after two full hours of good sleep. I got dressed, took a sip of ‘MOJUׄ GINGER SHOTS’ and a sip of ‘POM 100% POMEGRANATE’, and went to the Euthyphro speech. To my great delight, the mouse works perfect. And I am happy it does, for the text can be divided into a number of short parts. Let me just show the first sentence of Euthyphro’s speech:

Euthyphro: Well then, I say (Le/gw toi/nun) that holiness is (o3ti to\ me\n o3sio/n e0stin) doing what I am doing now (o3per e0gw_ nu=n poiw~), prosecuting the wrongdoer who commits murder or steals from the temples or does any such thing (tw~| a0dikou=nti h2 peri\ fo/nouj h2 peri\ i9erw~n klopa\j h1 ti a1llo tw~n toiou/twn e0camarta/nonti e0pecie/nai), whether he be your father (e0a/n te path\r w@n tugxa/nh|) or your mother (e0a/n te mh/thr) or anyone else (e0a/n te a1lloj o3stij ou]n), and not prosecuting him (to\ de\ mh\ e0pecie/nai) is unholy (a0no/sion).

Just as a matter of interest, let us observe the one long passage in that first sentence: ‘prosecuting the wrongdoer who commits murder or steals from the temples or does any such thing (tw~| a0dikou=nti h2 peri\ fo/nouj h2 peri\ i9erw~n klopa\j h1 ti a1llo tw~n toiou/twn e0camarta/nonti e0pecie/nai)’. What forced me to write that passage so long? The English translation begins with ‘prosecuting’, the Greek original ends with ‘e0pecie/nai’; ‘prosecuting’, with which the English translation begins, is the translation of ‘e0pecie/nai’, with which the Greek original of that passage ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment