Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Jerome of Prague on Wikipedia

It was only after I put ‘Stephen Greenblatt on Jerome of Prague’ on my blog that it occurred to me to look at Google, what, if anything, can be found on Jerome on the internet. I found two extensive entries on Wikipedia, one in Czech and one in English. I learnt that Poggio Braccioli’s letter to Leonardo Bruni concerning Jerome is well known.

I thought of revising or simply cancelling my post on Greenblatt’s Jerome, but on second thoughts I decided to leave it as it stands. Greenblatt’s account has a freshness and authenticity of an author who thought about Poggio’s account of Jerome’s greatness in a new way.

In the Czech Wikipedia entry on Jerome I learnt that during his stay in Paris at Sorbonne, in the year 1404/05, ‘he got acquainted with the whole of Plato’.

Having read all this within the framework of Greenblatt’s The Swerve HOW THE RENAISSANCE BEGAN I can’t help thinking that Jerome would deserve to be written about under the heading HOW THE RENAISSANCE IN BOHEMIA WAS UNTIMELY ENDED. Had Hus and Jerome continued working at Charles’ University, a renaissance could have developed in Bohemia within the framework of and on the basis of their critical thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment